The Seibert Library is home to thousands of historic images. Here are a few from the turn of the 20th century and earlier. Drop by the museum to see more!
The camera is positioned on West Bainbridge Street, looking toward town. This was taken prior to the RR tracks being elevated and the “tunnel” being constructed. The fellow sitting on the right is William Hammer, who died on Sept. 8, 1889. He was a Civil War veteran who after the war worked for the Portsmouth/Lancaster RR. (Portsmouth is now Middletown) William was in charge of the water supply for the Elizabethtown station. He (later than this photo) lost a leg in a RR accident. Trains such as this early wood-burner carried 2000-3000 gallons of water and required cords of wood for fuel. The building on the left stored wood, and the train is likely stopped to take on more wood and water. The building on the right is a hotel where passengers could eat, use a restroom, and even stay overnight.
Both buildings are gone, and were located where the embankment for the raised tracks is now.
This is the Greenawalt Hotel that sat where the Moose building now stands. This is the building described in the Chronical article, Elizabethtown’s Center Square, by Ray Westhafer, also posted on this website. The stone foundation of the Greenawalt is still underneath the modern day Moose. The Greenawalt was torn down to make way for the Moose, which was built in 1929.
This view is looking northward from the Elizabethtown square. The Greenawalt Hotel was replaced by the Moose building in 1929. The turret, far right, is the building still standing by our (modern day) town clock.
This is the Elizabethtown end of the Elizabethtown/Hershey Trolley line, which was in service from 1906-1932. The ladies are likely returning from a day picnic at Hershey, a popular activity. The trolley doors just visible, far right, might belong to the Elizabethtown/Lancaster line trolley. The two separate lines met in the square, and passengers had to transfer to continue further.